Friday, December 18, 2009

Never Too Late?

A final post about the glasses.
It was our last job of the year. No more need for the new glasses until 2010. My eyes again were crossed and the makeshift glasses were falling off of my face. I was getting used to the strange stares at what I was calling my Christmas Glasses, all held together and around my neck with bright red and green string. It was a dark day and there was little light in the house in spite of our more than 1000 watts of lighting power. I felt I was going blind and had no motivation to continue working into the New Year. 'Retirement' was all I could think about.
And then the cell phone rang.
The new glasses were in. I had already put the old ones in my pocket and was wearing my progressives in preparation for the drive home. Did they put a rush on them? My complaining was not that bitter!
On the way home, I got to Abbey Eye Care just before closing. The new glasses were fitted and I tried them out for the right focal distance. They were light, nice fitting, and the vision I had. Oh, the clarity and the sharp focus! I was ecstatic. They needed no adjusting and just before I left, I asked the 'fitter' if he wanted to see what I was wearing the last few days. I pulled the tangled mess of crooked arms, paint spattered lenses and red and green string from my shirt pocket and lay them down on the table. He burst out laughing.
I was happy to make his day, because he made mine. Now I can put the new work glasses away until the New Year.
Oh, and the old work glasses? Straight in the garbage where they should have gone months ago.

No comments: