Sunday, December 13, 2009

Key Issues

Over the years, I have amassed a rather large collection of keys. No, I do not collect keys, but rather they are attracted to me and often I cannot find their owners or I have forgotten who they belong to. My customers are very trusting and often will give me a key to their home so we can come and go as the need requires without bothering them. For a variety of reasons, these keys do not always find their way back and end up in my collection. Friday was a case in point.
We were working three different jobs in one day and I had keys to two of them. One of these jobs was a good long drive out of town and instead of delivering the key and invoice on a separate trip, I left the invoice on the kitchen counter top together with the key for the front door. Then I let myself out via the automated garage door, hitting the 'close' button and running under the door before it crushed me on the way down. The house was then secure and I went my merry way. As we were heading for the next job, I suddenly realized that I had left the wrong key on the counter top. Now another trip back was required and my cleverness was for naught. The customer may have told me to simply throw the key away and she would send me a cheque, but I was not satisfied with that solution this time so I made the trip back. Actually I sent my partner back.
I also sent him to finish off the next job, this time with proper key in hand, and I went to the Abby Eye Center to order the new glasses. (see post below) After trying to work with my progressives for a part day, I knew I was going to get new work glasses sooner or later so I opted for sooner. It was either new glasses for hundreds of $ or a piece of black electrical tape on the old ones and no way to fold them. Trying to look reasonably professional was my choice, but the taped glasses will have to do until Wednesday as that is when the new glasses arrive. These things never happen at a convenient time.

1 comment:

Gaye said...

You're right! Proctrastination never pays off.