Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Like Being There

I do not go to as many movies as I once did, but the friends we were with the other day suggested we go see "Avatar". They were quite excited about it, could not stop talking about it, and were definitely going to see it again. So I saw it last night, on a big screen and in 3D. After sitting through 1/2 hour of commercials, and 15 minute of 'Coming Attractions', the main event finally started. A big graphic comes on the screen telling the viewer that now is the time to put on the 3D glasses. From the opening scene I was completely hooked and was magically transported to another world, another planet, and to the purest form of virtual reality and escapism I had ever experienced.
Apparently the producer, Cameron, the same guy who made the movie "Titanic" invented a new 3D technology just for this movie and I must say that there were many a time when I was swatting flies from right in front of my face or ducking the arrows that were coming straight for me.
This movie gets you three ways. The 3D effect is stunning and puts you right into the scene. The story line is quite good and has all the elements of a well told tale. And finally, the artistic imagination and renderings are out of this world and in a word, spectacular. The planet on which the story takes place is the most beautiful and imaginative place man could conceive. It is not cartoonish in the least as everything is 100% realistic. The animals, trees, insects, and strange plants are all out of some one's vivid imagination, but you feel you could reach out and touch them.
The only downside is that like so many movies, there are subtle political and quasi religious undertones that relate to the here and now, even though the movie takes place on another planet way in the future. But everyone seems to have an axe to grind and a movie producer will do it through his art.
Ignore that and sit back and enjoy a true spectacle.
And do not forget to re-mortgage your house if you want popcorn and a drink with that.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Wanna babysit so Keith and I can go and see it?! :)

Gaye said...

We saw it last night and agree that it was a believable transport to a beautiful world. I was flying in my dreams. It was well worth seeing it in 3D.