Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Chocolate Cake



I mentioned two posts ago that we had a 60th anniversary party for busylizzy's parents. Chris's comments on yesterday's post triggered a memory from that night. One of our responsibilities for the dinner was purchasing the big cake. It was a lemon cake, very tasty, but not my choice. It was decided that not everybody liked chocolate. My theory, which was overthrown, was that the majority would like chocolate so why not get a small lemon cake for those that do not like chocolate. When we went to pick up the cake from the bakery, we threw in good sized chocolate fudge layer cake for good measure.
At dessert time, I picked up a piece of the lemon cake and I thought I would get a piece of chocolate later with my second cup of coffee. I hate to say "I was right" all the time, but once again I have to say it. The chocolate was the first to disappear. I did not get a piece.
We would have done ourselves all a big favour had we stuck with chocolate, according to this recent news about chocolate:  

Eat more: Dark chocolate (daily!)

Disease-fighting antioxidant compounds in cocoa also help regulate blood flow, researchers believe. Previous studies have indicated that high doses of cocoa can reduce blood pressure and boost mood in the short term. Yet a mere 6.3 grams of dark chocolate (just 30 calories) daily over a 4 1/2-month period was enough to reduce hypertension by 21 percent, according to a Journal of the American Medical Association.

5 comments:

Chris said...

Now this is a post I could sink my teeth into! Keep up the good work!

Rachel said...

I had the chocolate cake..it was REALLY good.
I also had a taste of Keith's lemon cake. It was REALLY good too :)

Terry said...

Chris, you and I should start a Chocolate blog.

Chris said...

OK, I am totally up for it Terry. I have lots to say about that topic. However I would have to get a plastic keyboard cover to protect it from the drool. Rachel, I bet you can make a five star chocolate cake too.

Kerry said...

I'm drooling over that last picture. :)