Sunday, November 21, 2010

Hand Held


The term 'hand held device' has come to mean any electronic device that aids in communication with other electronic devices. The permutations of this are endless. I will not even begin to name them because as soon as I do, the list will be outdated and any number of the devices on my list will be obsolete. It seems that the time that it takes to replace the latest device that was just purchased, with a newer better model, is about ten minutes.
I'm sorry, but I just cannot keep up. My cell phone was one of the first ones with a QWERTY keyboard built in and I must admit that I have never used it, except one time to unsuccessfully create and send a text message. No, I was not driving at the time.
It is difficult to believe how many people are wandering around in a daze with their ear buds in and their little fingers jabbing away at a 'hand held device', often communicating with the person walking beside them. The spoken language will soon be a lost art. The written language too, for that matter. In an attempt to simplify the text messages, there is a language with code words and abbreviations that one has to learn besides learning how to operate the device. 
They keep getting smaller too. When I attempt to hit the keypad on my phone, I usually hit the wrong number or two numbers at the same time. The problem with this is that I do not know how to 'back it up' so I can undo the mistake. I just re-boot and try again until I get it right. 
I think back to the first phone I ever operated. You picked up the receiver, cranked the handle one time, an operator came on, and you told her who you wanted to speak to. No, it was not cordless, but it was 'hand held', just like today. 

1 comment:

Chris said...

It's interesting that you and I grew up in the same family and although as a child I saw the phone you are talking about, I didn't get to use it because ten minutes later the dial phone replaced it.