Saturday, November 20, 2010

Missing The Sun


This is the time of year when I go back in the archives and dig out the summer photos. It is both nostalgia and a great yearning for the sun. The body rhythms are daily adjusting to lack of daylight hours. Sleepiness overcomes with the abundance of darkness. Seven on the clock could be day or night.
I have been made aware, in the last few weeks, just how sensitive my body is to the light, even when asleep. We have new neighbours behind us and we look into their back yard. He has installed a night light with a motion sensor. It is very sensitive and will switch on with gentle movement of a leaf in the middle of the night. The two powerful spotlights shine toward my bedroom window and our blinds do not shut out the light totally. I find myself coming awake because of the ambient light in the bedroom, almost like the first light of dawn, and my body gets confused. Realising I have been wakened by the security light, I fall asleep again quickly enough, but am always surprised that the very faint light penetrating my eyelids was enough to wake me. Of course, every time this happens I roll over to see what time it is. I thought I would get used to it. I am not. 
So, yes, I yearn for the light, but not in the middle of the night.  

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Get a roll down shade.

Gaye said...

Remember how effective Timmerman's
beebee gun was?

Terry said...

Oh yes I do. Good idea! Can I borrow yours?