Sunday, December 19, 2010

Day 7


There are orange trees everywhere. We found this one on a walk the other day, loaded, but don't know if they are edible. Not all the oranges growing around here are edible. Some are only decorative and have no flavour or are very bitter.


The flora here is very different from what we are used to. The variety is immense. Some seem to be dormant and others seem to be doing their best now in the winter.

It was our plan to attend the massive street fair at the University of the Desert. This is a huge market that takes place every Saturday and Sunday from 7:00am to 2:00pm. When busylizzy suggested we walk, my first thought was "no way". It is at least several miles away and I knew we would be coming back with 'stuff'. But then I thought, "Why not. We can recover all afternoon if we have to and it is a nice morning."
So, we set off and 45 minutes later we were there. I have it on good authority that it is nearly three miles. That is just getting there. Then to walk the aisles of the market, back and forth, until we saw it all, was a killer, for me. Shopping at the best of times gives me pains in the legs and back, but after walking three miles to get there, and knowing we are walking back, it did me in. We both found things to purchase, including a new set of trunks for the hot tub. I 'test drove' the running shorts I told you about and it was just not going to work. 
This market is amazing. There is nothing you cannot get there. We found the fresh fruit and vegetables very reasonably priced and just about everything else at discount prices. We had been here about three years ago and I think it has expanded since then. 
After walking back home, I needed the rest of the afternoon to recover. This is OK because we are on holidays. The hot tub, later that night, took all the aches and pains away and I slept like a baby.    

1 comment:

Chris said...

Sounds lovely, but also like you need Josh and Marc to help you out with some good orthodics and foot wear. I can walk way farther since they fixed me up. :-)