Saturday, December 11, 2010

Last Job of the Year


Thursday was my last day of work for the year 2010. It was a very difficult challenge but we got the job done and the customer is very pleased. I take some pride in being able to hang ALL types of wall coverings but I almost turned this one down. It was a rather large powder room with 11 ft. high ceilings. One of the challenges was the fact the wall covering was 54 inches wide with a pattern match. The roll was not cut accurately at the factory and we had to devise a method of matching, measuring, and cutting with zero tolerance for mistakes. I was disappointed to see that the toilet had been installed and there was no room for my ladder. There were also two 'outside' corners that present a challenge because the heavy inflexible fabric backed vinyl only goes around a corner tightly when it is almost melted with a heat gun. A second or two too much heat and the gig is up! When working with materials that are worth more than the labour to hang them, I get nervous. I had to use my many years of experience, plus every trick I had ever devised, to get the job done, but it is now behind me and I have already been paid.
This is a fantastic house inside and out. The materials and design work are first rate, not to mention the great people who own this home. It was a nice way to finish off the year, a challenge met with success.  

3 comments:

Christina said...

Esta la grande casa! Bueno.
I am so glad that you are getting a break from your work and that your work year ended to your satisfaction!! Way to go!

Rachel said...

They paid you so much money they had none leftover for landscaping?!

Terry said...

Yes, and enough for me to go on a 5 week vacation. You are in the wrong profession. :) Actually the house is somewhat still under construction.