Thursday, December 9, 2010

Nothing Works


It is two weeks now that I have had this wretched chest cold. No sore throat, no headache, no fever, no nasal congestion, just an irritation in the bronchials that causes coughing, and coughing, and coughing.
So what does one do? Cover the mouth so as not to spread the misery is number one. Vitamin C in mega doses, but to no avail. Then there is the Vic's Vaporub, on the chest, the throat, and yes, even on the feet at night. 
I cannot forget to mention the Buckley's Cough Syrup, you know the one, it tastes horrible but it works? Taking that was a big mistake. The menthol/camphor fumes that normally would soothe and clear out the pipes, irritated my bronchial tubes so badly that I had a one hour coughing fit that nearly resulted in a pair of lungs on the floor.
Then there is the hot tea with lemon and honey. That, plus the Ricola herbal throat lozenges and there is some relief, but only from the symptoms. I think these viral  things just need time. In the meanwhile, I am looking forward to getting a good night's sleep again once this is over.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I had that exact thing in 2005. I finally ended up getting a dose of antibiotics that cleared it up quickly. I had been coughing for a month and was about to lose my lungs!