Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Day 9 (Soggy)

    Again, no photo today. Electronic gadgets short out when you get them wet. All the talk and news here these days is the huge rain event which just does not happen in the desert. But, they did not know we were coming. Why now?  It is not ours to ask, but to endure. This is just so much like home, except for the balmy temperatures.
    Yesterday we shopped 'till we dropped', or at least I dropped. I am no shopper. It is one of the most gruelling tests of endurance I can think of. My style and busylizzy's style are miles apart and both were in evidence yesterday. I see a shirt, I put it in the cart, I pay for it, and get on with my life. My dear sweat wife marvels, but does not follow my example. We go to twenty shoe stores, try on three hundred pairs of shoes, and still no purchase. Oh, we came close a few times, and my spirits soared, only to be dashed on the rocks of disappointment when the colour was not just right. 
    Today we will do the big grocery shop because the rest of the family will arrive this afternoon. Many mouths to feed. But this is a step up in the shopping experience for me because I can throw things into the cart because "we need" them and I get a great sense of accomplishment and progress as I do this, even as my beloved agonizes over which head of lettuce to purchase. I know they are all clones of each other, identical in all respects, but apparently there are subtle differences that only salad lovers can detect. 
    Some of the main roads here are flooded today so we will have to be prepared to do U-turns. It is all over the news. The camera does these three minute close-ups of actual water actually slowly running across the road. It is three inches deep and they are turning cars away. It is like they are afraid of water here. Everyone, I suppose, is afraid of the unknown.  
     Last night Andrew arrived and we sat in the hot tub trying to catch a glimpse of the total lunar eclipse, the first time in 400 years that it has occurred on a winter solstice and during a full moon. We are in the ideal place for viewing this event, but alas, the rain and clouds obscured our view. We caught occasional glimpses, but half way through, the prospects of ever seeing the moon again that night diminished greatly. The long soak in the swirling waters of the spa was good though. 
    We had a bit of a wind storm here yesterday too. I had to 'skim' the pool and the hot tub before we turned things on so the filters would not get plugged. The water was full of leaves and little seeds from the neighbours unusual tree. I have never owned a pool so I think that is what one does. The owner has his big new Cadillac Escalade parked in the garage and I had to maneuver around it to get the pool skimmer. I was not so worried about scratches as I was worried about setting off the alarm in the vehicle. I know that some security systems do not even allow you to touch the vehicle. 
   That is all for now. I have to go 'drive miss daisy' to her shopping destinations.  

7 comments:

poof said...

Did you get your camera wet?

Girls must only go clothes shopping with girls. We understand eachother. :) But I like the 'driving Miss Daisy' idea.

Gaye said...

Now, come on. It sounds like you are being tortured. You're on VACATION! Don't sweat the small stuff. Enjoy the moment--- remember?

Rachel said...

It IS torture to leave BC for warm and dry weather to just endure more of the same thing at home. Tomorrow's forecast is most promsing though...hanging onto that!
We got drenched out of San Diego airport and then white knuckled drove it to PS on the highway for many hours. We're still trying to unwind from that!

Anonymous said...

Ha! You wanna know about torture on your vacation? Try driving through 500 miles of that with a professional driver who pulls out to pass trucks 1/2 a mile before the only rest stop in the Mohave Desert in a rain deluge three hours after you say you have to go.

-the Rellies, who thus far on their dream sunny California vacation have experienced blowing snow, floods, debris filled road ponds, torrential rains, flash flood warnings and alarms at 4:45 am, and now an extreme thunder storm warning, tornado watch, and subsequent pool closure (don't get me wrong, we are having a great time!)

LOL!

Sis Chris said...

Well....what can I say? You are making me wish I wasn't there with you...but wait....I'm not! Oh yeay! I am on sunny Vancouver Island. It could be worse guys, I just got a call from a friend who is experiencing wind at -25. Just eat a nice hot curry...or for Carla some sushi...and be happy you're not working.

Terry said...

I am never driving with Ron.

Terry said...

That last comment was not mine, but my chicken daughter's.
Terry