Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Allergy Culprits

When I was in my early thirties, about the time my allergies first came along, I heard that you can outgrow allergies. Every eight years or so, your metabolism etc. changes enough that it is like starting over again. Let's clear it up right now that this is a myth. I waited patiently for 8 years, with great anticipation, for the allergies to go away. Thirty years later, what has happened is that they have increased in intensity.



I look forward to spending more time outside in the early spring, but that is exactly the time that the Birch and Alder trees throw off these da**ed little dangley things that are just bursting with prickly clouds of pollen, waiting for me to breathe them up my nose and collect them in the corners of my eyes.


It hit me with a vengeance this week. The thing is, I can be out in it for hours and it does not bother me, and then when I get home and settle down to a book or some other task, it hits. Itchy eyes and sneezing, sometimes ten or twelve times in a row. The season was delayed this year due to cold, wet weather, and if the warm season comes on strong, the pollen producing season will be short lived. At least, that is what I am hoping for.  

No comments: