Friday, March 23, 2012

Inevitabley, a Bad One


For some reason, this blog has turned out to be a book review blog. Since I got my Kindle, I have become a voracious and efficient reader. (22 books in the last 12 weeks) Being a cheapskate also, I do not spend a lot of money on my book downloads, and indeed a few of them are free. But, you do not necessarily get what you pay for in that regard. I have read some amazing books lately, books that are not big commercial successes, but should be. As I have said before, I trust the reviews before actually purchasing a book. It was only a matter of time before I bought a book that I do not like. But, there is no getting your money back from the Kindle store, only a delete button.

The Fall of Billy Hitchings, first of all, in a misnomer. As the story progresses, Billy, a nineteen year old who works at a burger joint, actually rises above his mundane existence, and in the end becomes something of a miracle man, a fact that is not well explained in the story. Had the reviews revealed more of the actual content and subject matter of this book, I would probably not have bought it.

The author is a good descriptive writer, but his plot lacks credibility and cohesion. It is like he wrote several versions and then took bits and pieces of all versions and pieced them together. I will not even bother to tell you the gist of the story as I would not recommend you read it. There is much better literature out there.

Two stars at best.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

If you were truly cheap you would have got a Koboo and borrowed books for free from the library!