Thursday, March 8, 2012

A Star is Almost Born

Great Grandfather and his second wife

The result of a singing debut, by my friend and I in a school Christmas Concert, was a musical partnership that was entered in a local talent contest. These Saturday night talent searches were on CFQC radio out of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. The winners of each local program were entitled to compete in a grand finale that would be televised later in the year.
Our little duo won hands down, singing "The Happy Wanderer". I still remember the lyrics. We did go on to compete on the televised version but were defeated by much cuter and more talented youngsters than us.
The result of this attention was a certain notoriety in our little town and of course, in the extended family. When you think of it, how many people back then could claim that they had actually been on TV? In fact, how many people could even claim to own a TV?
We were at a large gathering at my great grandfather's home when my celebrity status became a topic of conversation. It was the consensus that this kid must be good or he would not have made it to the TV studios. I was asked to sing, but declined due to the fact that I was one element in a duet and I did not do solos. The relatives would here none of my excuses and I was getting scared to death by all the pressure. 
It was then that my great grandfather took me aside and made me a deal. This is what he said. "All these people in here are mostly interested in visiting with each other. Instead of standing in front of them and singing, why don't you go out on the veranda and sing there. We will leave the door open a bit in case anyone wants to hear you, they might catch a bit of your singing through the door. (It was summer and the door was a full screen door) When you are all done with your song, come to me and I have something for you."   
With great fear and trepidation, I stepped out onto the veranda and, facing the street, I sang "The Happy Wanderer" without my partner. When I entered the house, there was great applause and I was embarrassed beyond measure. My great grandfather beckoned me to his chair and asked me to hold my hand out. I did so and he dropped a heavy silver dollar into my hand, still warm from his pocket. I suddenly forgot about the ordeal and was just ecstatic that I was now a rich man. I had a very warm feeling toward my great grandfather ever after.  


2 comments:

Gaye said...

And there is the reason that your life's passion has been silver dollars. Now I understand.

Terry said...

Funny! I do not own a single one.