Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Going Ape

 
And yet another old classic that I can stroke off of my list. This story was first published in 1914 and it is no wonder that Edgar Rice Burroughs eventually wrote 24 sequels. The story of castaways on the primitive African Coast is both romantic and adventurous but not too far into the story we can absolutely write off the suggestion by the author that this may be a true story.
 
Tarzan becomes a true, larger than life, hero as he battles against wild jungle animals and even against those apes that raised him from the time he was one year old. The battle spreads to the cannibalistic natives and eventually to white humans that invade his domain.
 
But then comes true love in the form of a damsel in distress and the story gets a little weird, but still action packed. Having read Tarzan comics as a kid, I ever did get the whole story and I had no idea that he would end up in Baltimore driving a car while rescuing his woman (Jane) from a forest fire and an unscrupulous suitor. And in the end he does not get the girl but sacrifices a great deal to make her happy. I realised I just spoiled the story for anyone wanting to read this pulp novel, but there you have it. I would be really curious to know if anyone but me would put Tarzan on his list of classic 'must reads'.
It is a relatively quick read and holds the attention of the reader so I will give it at least 3 1/2 stars
 

No comments: