Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I Have a Beef


Don't get me wrong. I am not a fan of Dick Pound and I am not defending him or anything he does, but I have an issue with what is happening to him. You regular readers know that I have a real issue with political correctness and here is another example. Mr. Pound stated that 400 years ago Canada was populated by savages. For the full story check here.http://news.sympatico.msn.ctv.ca/abc/home/contentposting.aspx?isfa=1&feedname=CTV-TOPSTORIES_V3&showbyline=True&newsitemid=CTVNews%2f20081022%2fdick_pound_081022
I find it interesting that he is being castigated without any question as to the definition or the context of the word 'savage'. It seems that when an aboriginal is offended, he is offended. Period. Why not let this incident open a dialogue. Was 'savage' an appropriate term given the circumstances, what are the French nuances of the term, (he spoke the French term which has a different connotation than the English) and was any offense meant, or was it not? Calls for his resignation are way over the top.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more. When I saw this on the news yesterday I was stunned that people were calling for him to resign. Since when is the word 'savage' not allowed? I'm sure I've heard it used many times before without people getting all in an uproar about it.