Friday, October 10, 2008

Stop Calling, Please

Since registering on the DNCL (Do Not Call List) we have received several calls from phone solicitors. I understand that after 30 days, these companies have to update their data bases and not call anybody who is on the list they uploaded. So I am giving 30 days of grace. Having said that, I got a call last night during dinner. The call display showed 'UNAVAILABLE' which shows how shifty these guys are. It was the Policeman's Association, you know the one. I showed no grace by blurting "Could I please call you back when you are having your dinner?"


"Pardon me?" was the reply.


"I said, could I please call you back when you are having your dinner?"


There was a long pause on the other end and then a meek little, "Oh ....... I get it. Sorry to bother you. You have a nice dinner."


He was so polite that it laid the guilt on me.


I have decided that after the 30 days of true grace, when I get a call from one of these guys, it will go like this.


"Hello."


"Yes I would like very much to deal with your company. What is the name of it?"


After getting the information I need, I will say, "In five minutes, I will have reported you to the DNCL list, of which I am a member, and your fine will be in the neighbourhood of ten thousand dollars. You have a nice day, hear?"


Of course, I will fell terribly guilty after I hang up, and even more guilty after I report them. I am almost looking forward to having my dinner interrupted. (Oh, now I am feeling guilty for writing this post.)