Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Addicted to .... ?

I enjoy my time at the computer. Maybe too much. I find that especially during this time that I have been partially immobilized with this pesky hip problem, it is my window to the world. These are the things I do and enjoy with my PC.

Online banking and bill paying. Those who do this know the joys of banking at all hours and the many trips to the bank not needed.

Email. What a tremendous convenience to communicate with friends and relatives around the world, at no cost or time restrictions.

Business. Calculating for estimations, creating and printing contracts, creating business cards, communicating with clients, researching products, following investments, and doing book keeping are a few of the activities under this category.

Photography. Storing digital images, creating effects with Photo Shop, and sharing and viewing photos is a big deal for me and I spend a lot of creative hours doing this, my favourite hobby.

Education. I am always researching a topic, whether it be news, sports, financial, health, or faith, there is no shortage of information that can be gleaned, and I will do it. My education is continuing and will never cease.

Entertainment. As I have mentioned before, I watch very little TV. The televised hockey games on the nights I am available, and now that Survivor has started a new season, are the only TV I watch unless I catch some news if I am home for lunch. Those hours I used to spend watching 'the tube' are now used up by the computer. I enjoy games on the computer and lately have taken up Lexulous, a version of Scrabble, that I can play with anyone via email. This is so great because I can play a game while I am doing other things, and it is always at the convenience of both players. I currently have several games on the go with several people.

Family websites. I administer two family websites where extended family members can post news, stories and photos to share with the rest of their relatives. I have rekindled several relationships with long lost cousins as a result of this. It has been most rewarding.

Blogging. I do this as an outlet for my photography hobby and my penchant for writing. But, of course, you knew that or you would not be reading this. I also follow a few blogs and find it an interesting insight to others lives and points of view. In searching for blogs to follow, I have discovered that there is no end to the diversity and creativity in my fellow human beings and I believe we all have a need to create. We were, after all, made in God's image and he is the master creator.

1 comment:

Susan said...

I am in the same boat... I have never been one to watch much television other than the History and Travel channels, and stories on solving crimes with scientific evidence. The wonderful thing about using our computers is that we can do what we want, when we want... we don't have to worry about commercial interruptions or missing a scene when we are suddenly interrupted. I love it!