Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Odds and Ends

I only saw one of the Oscar contending movies so I did not have an opinion as to who would win, nor do I care, but it was nice to see that "Slum Dog Millionaire" won 'Best Picture'. It is different from your usual Hollywood fare and quite an engaging story. I did not watch the ceremony on Sunday night, but used the time much more productively. We got together with a couple from the distant past and had a great time 'catching up' and reminiscing. I guess that is what old folks do. It was such a success that I think we will continue to pursue the relationship.
I put my decrepit hip to a test on Sunday afternoon as we walked around Mill Lake, hoping to enjoy the sunshine which humoured us by hiding behind a big cloud until we were done walking. The hip survived, but who knows what the next week holds? Having the rest of the afternoon free, I went to a movie that I had been wanting to see for a while now. Two movies in two weeks for me is very rare. Not that I do not like movies, because I do quite enjoy escaping into a good story with no interruptions such as telephones and doorbells. "Taken" is a story about a father's very intense love for his daughter and how he goes to the ends of the earth to rescue her when she is kidnapped. Fortunately for him, as a former CIA 'preventer', (his job was to prevent certain things from happening) he had a unique skill set that aided him greatly in not only finding, but taking care of the nasty villains that took his daughter. I love efficiency and I love swift and effective justice so this was right up my ally. I witnessed, during the two hour movie, a myriad of solutions for our local gang problem. However, I am a little troubled at my joyful reaction to such brutality and violence. I suppose it is a reflection of the frustration I and many others feel when we see, all around us, continual perpetration of criminal activity and nothing really done about it.
The photograph was taken in the eighties on a family trip to Yellowstone. If I remember correctly, the scene is in Montana.

1 comment:

Susan said...

It's been quite a while since we've gone to the movies. I've heard quite a bit about "Slumdog Millionaire". It has my curiousity stirred so I am going to plan on seeing that one. "Taken" sounds like one of my kind of movies, so I'll keep that one in mind as well. The photo reminded me of our trip to the northwest... so much beauty, I loved it.