Sunday, February 22, 2009

Review

Believe me when I tell you that the best scenery you will see in the movie "Slum Dog Millionaire" is a view of the Taj Mahal. The worst side of Bombay (Mumbai) is portrayed in almost every scene that takes place out of doors. But it is this portrayal of abject poverty that gives the story its magical appeal. How can anyone survive, let alone overcome the horrendous circumstances that are everyday life for millions in that country? As we are being repelled by the scenes of filth and degradation, we are slowly being taken in by the two brothers who are the central figures in the story. They are survivors as we see in the many flashbacks that slowly pull the story together before we get too confused. The premise and the mechanics of the story are unique and soon the viewer is caught up in the adventure that culminated in a chance for the hero to find love and riches. It seems improbable, and that is why the film worked for me. As much as I highly recommend it, I must tell you that I will not be travelling to India any time soon. A travel brochure it is not.

No comments: