Tuesday, February 3, 2009

My Favourite Daughter

Last night we had a special dinner, celebrating a special event, my daughter's birthday. She is my favourite daughter, for sure. I do not know why it is, but often when we celebrate birthdays, we get out the old photos. We did not do it last night, but I am doing it now. We know time passes quickly, and none of us stays the same, but we are still looking for something in the old photos. In our case, it is not necessarily looking for better times in the past, because these present days are so very good, and maybe even better. I am not yearning for her youth to return, because she is still very young and more beautiful than ever. There are things I would have done differently, but that is not quite what I am looking for either. The resemblance of her boys to her as a young child is interesting, but that is not it either. But, I think I found it as I browsed through many old slides of her today.
By gazing at the baby photos, toddler photos, school days photos and more recent pictures, I am compressing all the feelings I have had for her over the years into a single experience. It is a warm feeling and one I would not trade for anything. We all change as we grow older, but in my favourite daughter's case, the change has all been good and keeps getting better. Know that your old dad loves you, Rachel. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

6 comments:

Rachel said...

The fact you still love me after I was such a rotten teenager is something that defies logic!

Thanks :)

Terry said...

I guess there is not a whole lot of logic in love.

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess you have a daughter born on this date, and we have a granddaughter....there must be something magical about the day....Happy Birthday to Rachel!!!

Stephanie said...

Uncle Terry, what a lovely thing to hear you say about your daughter. She is quite a prize :)

Kerry said...

That is so sweet!!

Susan said...

How lucky Rachel is to have a father whom loves her so dearly :)