Friday, February 27, 2009

Low Winter Sun

I was viewing some old slide scans the other day and found a few that defy recollection. This is one of them. I have no idea where and when I took this. It may have been in Northern Alberta in the early eighties as I used to travel up there in the winter. It typifies a cold winter's day with low, almost obscured light, that is flat and washes everything with gray. A church in the middle of nowhere signifies a rural community, possibly quite remote. I look at it and wonder if it is still there and if it is serving any purpose. At one time, it must have meant something, to have been built at all. These are not government projects and a group of farmers had to have pooled their efforts and finances to build it. Today, many of these fine old churches are abandoned, left to die like the pioneers who had the faith to build them.

3 comments:

On This Rock said...

Beautiful picture with an odd sentiment...good composition (not that I actually know what that means but I hear photographers talk about that!)...see, you don't even have to come to my photography class to get it right.

Terry said...

Thanks for the compliment. I will trust that you know what you are talking about. You will soon learn about the 'rule of thirds'. I think that is one of the things that makes this photo work. How did you do with your fuity still life for your 'Touch' assignment?

Terry said...

That would be fruity.