Saturday, February 28, 2009

Pioneer Church

Yesterday I posted a picture of an old country church, the location of which, I had no idea. This one I do remember. There is a road that leads from Wakaw to Gabriel's Crossing Bridge on the way to Rosthern, Saskatchewan. I took a side road on this route to re-trace our steps from Lanigan to Rosthern to visit my grandparents when I was a young boy. Much to my surprise, this old log church was still there more than forty years later. The tall building in the background is where the priest lives. I knew it was Catholic by the sign on the road. It was a wet season and because there were no muddy tire tracks in the 'parking lot', I knew that this church too, was not used much, and probably dying. If I ever come the way of these old heritage buildings again, I will try to gain entry. They must be even more interesting on the inside.

2 comments:

Susan said...

I really enjoy visiting the old buildings of yesteryear. There are a group of pioneer churches in Cades Cove (Tennessee). Perhaps you have been there. Every time I visit there, I must stop in and look around at the churches... as I step inside, my mind envisions life in those days... the pioneer families pulling up in horse and buggy, the long petticoats and dresses worn by the women, the simple hymns of faith echoing through the air, and the Sunday picnics spent out on the church grounds. Mom told me that as she was growing up, Sunday was an all day gathering of church folks. Nowadays, most church patrons can't wait till the preacher is finished before they're rushing out of the doors to buy dinner, at a local restaurant. They want to "beat the church crowd" there, LOL. Thanks for posting the photos, I enjoyed them.

Susan said...

By the way, I continue to appreciate your kind comments on my blog. Thank you very much.