Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

There are not many guys my age who still have a father. I remember growing up, having many friends who did not have a father even as teenagers or young men. Of my many friends today, I only know of one or two that still have their fathers. I still have mine.
Fatherhood can take on many different styles. The strengths of one father will be the weakness of the other but without a doubt, what is modelled in everyday living will have an influence on his children for good or for bad.
I find it interesting that as I talk to my siblings, they have a different perspectives of our father. He related to each one of us differently and certainly treated the boy differently than the girls. They will read this and probably disagree or at least have a unique perspective on my observations.
My father was more of a friend to me than a teacher, a leader, a mentor, or a disciplinarian. A father is always an example whether deliberately or not and he modelled both good and bad behaviour to me. Even though today I recognise and differentiate between the good and the bad, it still has a pull on me, both ways. It is difficult to say in the same breath, "I am going to be just like may father" (in the good ways) and then "I am not going to be like my father" (in the bad ways). He is a package and it is most difficult to be both like him and not like him at the same time.
The important thing is to give him honour. It is most counterproductive to not do so.

No comments: