Saturday, June 20, 2009

Magnum Speed

Imagine this in jet black with two wide yellow racing stripes running over the top of the vehicle from front to back and MAGNUM sand blasted into the rear window.

"You simply cannot drive this thing without speeding" he assured me. He then told me of an incident that happened right here in town on a busy street only a few weeks ago.
"I was torquing my way up the hill when suddenly there he was. A cop pointing a radar gun at me. I guess he heard me because he did not get a look as I flew by at 175 kmh in a 50 kmh zone. I could have run, but how many cars are there like this on the road? They would have caught up to me pretty quick so I just pulled over."
Police Officer: Are you drunk?
Magnum: No, I don't drink.
PO: Are you on drugs?
M: No, I don't do drugs.
PO: Are you stupid?
M: Yes I am!
PO: You are going to jail for the night. Your car will be impounded. The fine is $1100.00. You will have a six month driving suspension. You better call a friend to watch your car while it gets towed. You don't want that thing damaged.
By the way, what do you do for a living.
M: I drive a truck
PO: (pause) Do you have other outstanding tickets or points on your driver's license?
M: Not right now.
PO: (pause) I am going to ask you three questions and I want a truthful answer.
M: (having nothing to lose) Sure.
PO: What is the fastest you have had that car?
M: 258kmh
PO: Were you caught?
M: Don't think so.
PO: When was the last time you were caught speeding and how fast were you going.
M: (Thinking the officer may have has this info come up on his computer, he was honest.) About six months ago I was caught doing 180 kmh is a school zone. (30 kmh) The cop just gave me a warning.

At this point I am wondering how that is humanly possible, I mean to do that and only get a warning.

PO: When is the last time you really got a speeding ticket.
M: About 8 months ago. I was going 35 kmh in the same school zone.
PO: I see by your license that today is your birthday. I am giving you a birthday present. I am letting you off this time. No ticket.
I could see he was nervous reliving the incident.

"Gotta run" he said, and jumped into the Magnum and took off with roar.
I had no reason to not believe him, again, instincts.
Later his wife came home just as I was finishing the job. She told me about his car obsession. She bought out his equity in the house after the divorce and with that he purchased the car. Since then the value of the house had risen substantially. She told me he makes more that ten grand a month and spends it all on his car.

The next morning I stopped by her house to do one final bit of work to complete the job and to collect some money. She called me on my cell phone just as I was driving up to her house and told me not to bother coming. She changed her mind about he wallpaper selection and she was just going to tear it all off. I was right there anyways and went in to talk her out of it. I couldn't so she just paid me and that was that. When I told her I felt bad for her, she told me that she does this all the time. "It will take three time for me to get it right. This is just the way I do things." I tucked my slack jaw back up and just scratched my head as I walked out.
My instincts never told me that was coming.

1 comment:

elma_pauls said...

Well, as they say in Mental Health..."you can't reason with unreasonable people!" These two folks seem to be an example of where that just may be true.