Monday, June 15, 2009

A Visit to the Cemetery

I did not have my camera with me so this is only a likeness of the real thing.

I happened to be driving by the cemetery where my mom is buried. I do not visit her grave site often, in fact it has been two years since I was last there. It was a beautiful sunny morning and there was not a living soul there. (literally) I parked near her grave and as I walked the short distance to her headstone, it was remarkable how many new markers were there since I last visited. Her spot was in the sun, and she would have liked that. There is a huge cedar tree just to the south of her and would give afternoon shade on a hot day. She would have liked that. Then, later in the day, when the temperatures would cool a bit, the sun would again fall on her plot. She would have liked that. There were some fresh flowers on a headstone a few paces over. She would have liked that too.
I stopped there on this day just to focus my memories and thoughts about her. It is easier without distractions of everyday life to interfere. As I was leaving, I wandered in a big circle to see who her neighbours were. There was Barry B., one of my former clients, a very successful farmer and businessman. He was a good and honest guy, at least in my dealings with him. Then there were Walter and Menno N., two of the best known music teachers in our fair city. Everybody knew them. I contracted to paint their house when they built it new. They were quirky but honest and likable fellows, also very successful. And just a few spots over was Ivan V., a philanthropist business importer and exporter who ran a large orphanage in Indonesia as a sideline. It was a privilege to get to know him and his wife Trudy when I painted and wallpapered his beautiful home many years ago.
It seems my mother is in good company, and she certainly would have liked that.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

I mean to stop by myself but I never remember to do it. I think of Grandma often....such a sweet Grandma she was.

Anonymous said...

Not many people would recognize so many names around a loved one's plot. It must have felt strange to see that so many of your acquaintances have crossed the bridge. That is alot of familiar names in one small spot.

Sis Chris

Terry said...

There were a few more but I didn't want it to sound like I had cruised the whole graveyard. These were all within spitting distance.

On This Rock said...

Thank you for sharing your thoughts...it is a good thing to take the time to visit the memories and pay tribute to those who have influenced our lives.