Monday, June 29, 2009

A Little Action


A few years ago, I was suddenly awakened by some very violent knocking on our front door. It was in the wee hours of the morning and needless to say my adrenaline was squirting. Not considering any other option, I put on my housecoat and went to the door. I opened it and there was a young man who was panting and breathlessly told me to "call the cops". He told me there was a 'bad fight' up the street and someone was going to get killed. I told him I would and he ran down the driveway and up the street. I called 911 and then put on a jacket and shoes and went to investigate. There was already a police presence by the time I was in view of the area and after 10 minutes things had died down and I went home.
Yesterday morning was part two. I was just getting out of bed after a bit of a Sunday morning sleep in when there was a loud rap on the front door. Not being fully dressed, I went to the front window but could see nothing. I went to the front door and peered through the fish eye peep hole we installed and could see nothing, but I heard heavy breathing. I ran back to get dressed and when I got back to the door, there was nobody there, but only moments later there were two police cars racing up and down the street. A few minutes later, they found their man and it was close enough to my house and across the street for me to hear enough of the conversation. The guy was hyperventilating and talking about fights and guns and shooting. By this time, there was an army of cops in the neighbourhood. Hours later they were still in the dead end street behind our street. There is a houseful of rowdies living there and perhaps now things will settle down. They have not bothered us but we have heard the commotions they make, on occasion.
I have never felt unsafe in my neighbourhood, and still do not. We live very close to the city police headquarters and their response time is excellent.
I just wish these traumatized hoodlums would stop knocking on my door.

4 comments:

Gaye said...

Wasn' there a shooting at McClure and Clearbrook Rd. yesterday morning? Was that related?

Terry said...

Yes, that was the incident. I saw it on the news also.

Rachel said...

I've always said you live in the hood.

Anonymous said...

I've always said that wilderness and bears are safer than cities and people.

your isolated sister