Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My Thespian Grandson

When I was eight years old, my best friend's mom entered him and me in a talent contest. The province of Saskatchewan was divided into regions and each region had a live radio performance of anyone who thought they had talent. My friend and I won first place, singing our hearts out, in our region, and that allowed us to go to the final in Saskatoon where we would compete on live television. We did not win and there was no musical career launched, but we had a lot of nervous fun and we had our moment of fame, center stage, in the limelight.
That particular set of genes did not take root in either of my kids, but rather decided to skip a generation and pop up in my grandson. A few months back he was delighted to learn that after auditioning for the lead roll in a musical drama at church, he got it. He and the Kid's Town Choir performed three times over the weekend and they did a fantastic job. I was so proud of Nathan that I embarrassed myself by announcing to all those around me that the handsome guy up front and center was MY grandson. This is typical grandparent behaviour so it is OK.
After the last performance on Sunday, he told his mom that he "could do this everyday". Chad, his younger brother, was in the choir singing and doing the actions and choreography with the best of them. It is very entertaining watching him. If in the future, Chad is asked for a leading part, I am thinking the drama will have to be a comedy. It is a pure joy watching these guys grow up and discover new talents and abilities. We will see if these genes fizzle out like they did in me.

No comments: