Saturday, June 13, 2009

Long, Long Ago II

There is a cool shady spot in our garden that resists heat even on the hottest days. I found a shaft of soft light illuminating these flowers. I hope you like the photo as much as I do.

After travelling to Cape Breton Island and back, we manged to get the travel bug out of our systems for the time being. We rented a one bedroom apartment in a new building in town, got our meager belongings out of storage, and settled in to our new life. I tried my hand at a few different jobs. I quickly found out that I was not cut out for a factory production job, even though in a supervisory position, and eventually gravitated toward sales. I landed a job as an assistant manger of a new paint store in town. This suited me because I grew up helping my dad in a retail business in Saskatchewan. A store setting was familiar to me. There were shelves to stock, signage to display, and customers to deal with. There was one problem. I was promised a raise after the first two months and it was not coming. We could not live on what I was being paid and our baby was on her way. I began to dislike upper management as I found out that there was a lack of integrity.

About that time, an uncle of mine came into the store one day and asked me if I knew if any of the painting contractors I dealt with would be willing to travel to the north country and paint two apartment buildings he was constructing in Williams Lake. He could not find anyone from that town to take on such a big project. After making inquiries, I drew a blank. He then suggested that he, his sons, me, and my father, who was a builder, travel up there, fix up one of the suites to live in, and do the project ourselves. I was intrigued by the idea and told him I would give it some thought. That very afternoon, the district manager for the paint chain came by our store and I took the opportunity to negotiate from a position of strength. I pointed out that I had not yet received the promised raise and I would have to seriously consider resigning unless I got it that very day. He laughed at me and and suggested that I quit then and there. Much to his great surprise, I called his bluff. I took off the staff jacket, threw it down and walked out. I later heard from my manger that the district boss was supremely upset because he was left babysitting the store as I was the only one duty that day. I did not feel sorry for him, but did have sympathy for my manager who took the brunt of the anger from his boss.

So now the die was cast. I had to pack my bags and once again head up north, but this time without my wife.

No comments: