Friday, June 19, 2009

How Does This Happen?

We did the small talk that guys do and then he was off to one of the rooms and then into the shower down the hall. When he came out, we began talking again and I pieced together the picture. He was a trucker and was rarely home. He had done some 'stupid' things and he and his wife (the lady who had contracted me to do the work) divorced. He needed a home base and a place to park his car so he was renting a room from her. It was because of their daughter, he told me. He and his wife (ex) rarely even saw each other and indeed they had just missed each other on this day.
He then asked me if I could back my truck out of the driveway for a minute while he took his car out. He was going away for a few days. I did that and when I walked back up the driveway he had the garage door open and I saw his car. It was definitely an attention grabber. It was a glossy black Dodge Magnum station wagon with two wide bright yellow racing stripes over the top from hood to tail pipes. It was 'tricked out' with the most expensive wheels I had ever seen, a very throaty exhaust, dark tinted windows, and in the interior, a grey and lime green decor that was literally out of this world with pot lights and glowing things all over the place. He told me the basics in a sentence, $60,000 plus $20,000 in extras (so far) and 500 horsepower.
I could not help but admire it as it was a work of art as well as a powerful machine. I commented that I would not do well with such a vehicle as I would be going broke paying for all the speeding tickets. And then he told me a few of his experiences with his Magnum. Maybe tomorrow I will tell you too.

No comments: