Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Some Time Off

My time off usually comes unexpectedly. My client for this week suddenly got a bad case of shingles so she is in no shape to have me in her house turning things up side down. My alternate job for this week would have been ready had it not been for an interior designer who does not realise my time is valuable and is taking her time making design decisions. So what does one do with unexpected time off?
I had coffee with an old friend one morning and it dragged out 'till noon. We arranged to go to the driving range the next day as we both have not been on the golf course for a number of years and we wanted to see if we still had what it takes to play a round on a real course. It was great and yes, I can still make good contact with the ball and it does not hurt my hip except when I bend down to tee the ball. We will have to chose a flat course though, because the ups and downs of walking are tough for me.
I took some time to shop for a new camera and almost bought one. At the last minute, the thing that always happens, happened. I says to myself, "Self, why are you spending money when you are not working? Who knows when you will be working again." So, I went home and did some garden photography with my old camera and it was OK.
I am also arranging for a new furnace and hot water tank. I had my house inspected a few weeks ago by one of those ecoEnergy efficiency guys and now that I have my report and the recommendations, I can go ahead with the improvements and then when I call the inspector back, he will help me tap into all the rebates and refunds that are available. It really makes sense to do it now. Our house will be more comfortable and the cost of heating will be minimal. I am also researching new windows and heat pumps. This all adds value to our home and will make it not only easier to sell down the road but will bring us a better price.
I also helped out a fellow who lost his job a few months ago. I met him doing some home improvements for one of my customers. He gave me his number at that time and asked if I knew of any odd jobs to give him a call. I have sent a bit of work his way and yesterday he wanted me to come to one of his jobs and give him some lessons on my expertise. I did and he was so very grateful. He is honest and a hard worker so I certainly do not mind helping him out. Some guys would just go on EI and when that runs out, go on welfare. Although we are not related, we do share the same last name, so that helps too.
The days go by and I feel rested. The phone will ring any minute and I will be back at it

3 comments:

Gaye said...

Consider that a heat pump is noisy and will irritate the neighbors.

Terry said...

That would be called 'payback'.

Gaye said...

I guess that depends on your neighbors.