Thursday, June 18, 2009

Trusting My Instincts


The following story could be another chapter in my "Painting to Learn" series, but I will give it to you in a series of posts here. This all transpired in the last few days.
I have been in literally thousands of homes over the years as a contractor. Almost always, the people I meet are total strangers to me, our only connection is the person who recommended me to them. As a result of all this experience, I have developed some instincts over the years and have learned to trust them. When I do not, I run into trouble of various shapes and sizes.
About ten days ago, I was called to give a price on stripping paper and hanging new paper in a kitchen. It was in a house I had passed by hundreds of times in the days when we used to live in that neighbourhood. The 40 something woman greeted me at the door, introduced me to her daughter who was lying on the sofa, doing homework with the TV on, and proceeded to show me the kitchen. The decor in the house was 100% antique Victorian and it felt like I was in a curio shop in LaConner, Washington, complete with scented candle aromas. The vibe in the house was totally feminine and I just knew she was a single mom. Indeed, there was no evidence of a man ever having even been near the house. Of this I was sure.
We agreed on a price and yesterday I did the job. Being alone in the house, everything I observed confirmed my belief about her status, not that it mattered, but at this point it was still an educated guess.
And then at 2pm, a man walked into the house, very confidently. I was a bit shocked and at first thought it might be a neighbour. He was friendly and we talked. I try not let my jaw drop when talking to folks, but I could not help it this time. To be continued.

No comments: