Sunday, June 7, 2009

Tainted Water

Yesterday I stated that I had never eaten anything at a customer's home that made me ill. That is still true, however, I drank something one time that made me quite ill.
It was a hot day and I was offered a bottle of water right out of the elderly lady's refrigerator. I was grateful for it because I do not like to drink tap water as it is heavily chlorinated in our city. I took the bottle from her, unscrewed the cap, and guzzled back half of the bottle before putting it down on the table. It was then that I noticed a peculiar taste in my mouth, sort of musty and pungent. I suddenly realised that when I had taken the cap off, it had not popped or broken on the first twist. I knew right away that she had re-cycled her bottle by filling it up after she drank it and putting it in the refrigerator. How long it had been there I did not know, but I noticed a milky residue stuck to the upper part of the bottle just below the neck. I put my finger in the opening and rubbed the stuff off and it was very slimy. She was not there at the moment and I went to the sink and poured the remainder of the water down the drain. And then I waited for the effects of drinking tainted water. I was expecting an upset stomach, but it did not come. What did come that very night was the first and only bladder infection I have ever had. No, these things are not only for women, but I can really sympathize now. I have been very careful ever since to check the seal on the top of the bottle whenever I am offered bottled water.

1 comment:

Gaye said...

Hmmmm--. Too bad there isn't such a simple way to induce a childbirth experience for men. Although I suppose kidney stones could rate a close second.