Friday, July 10, 2009

At Long Last



In 1970, when I was in Ocean Falls and decided that photography was a hobby worth pursuing, I did a lot of reading in the photography magazines of the day and finally came to a decision to purchase a Pentax Spotmatic. It was state of the art and an excellent SLR (Single Lens Reflex Camera) I also purchased several lenses, a good flash, and I was on my way. But what I really wanted was a Nikon. More money, yes, but better reputation and better quality. In the end, I settled for second best.
In 2003 I purchased my second camera. Digital imaging was almost perfected and I wanted something beyond point and shoot, but the D(digital)SLR had not fully arrived on the scene. I settled for a Panasonic Lumix FZ10 which has been a really fantastic camera, and still is. But it has limitations and is not an SLR. Again, I settled for second best.
Today, after almost settling for a slightly lesser camera, I have finally fulfilled my dream. I purchased a Nikon D5000. The challenge now is to learn to use it. I got it up and running on full Auto mode just to try it out, but there are so many nuances and options on this machine that I will never fully learn to use it to its full capabilities. In fact you may only see old Lumix photos for a while yet as I struggle not only with the camera itself, but with the accompanying software and the fact that I want to shoot in RAW format and need to learn how to process those types of images. My son will be my teacher as he is fully initiated into this kind of thing.
I am really looking forward to posting some of my new and improved photos. I am always making some kind of attempt to keep my readers.
PS I just re-read yesterday's post and realised that some of you may have misunderstood my last sentence. I in no way meant that it pays (monetarily) for my business for me to be empathetic to my customers. What I did mean is that investing in human lives and relationships is the best anyone can do and when I am doing that, I am truly being productive, in things that count for eternity.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Knowing you Terry, I didn't take that wrong. Re the camera. Good for you! I am happy that you didn't settle for less. You are a good photographer and deserve the best.

Chris

Elma said...

Congratulations...you well-deserve it! I recall you saying...at the beginning of your blogging career ...that the blog would provide you with an opportunity to showcase your photos and share your writings. So, we are very much looking for more great things coming our way.

Elma