Friday, July 24, 2009

In General

I thought I was a day ahead with my blog posts, but I inadvertently post dated two blogs for one day. I can't very well take it back now, can I?
Here is the interior of the general store at Shady Grove. Note the well stocked shelves of vintage items. Just out of the photo is a fully stocked bakery shelf with bread, buns and other goodies from the ovens. The old scales and cash registers were in excellent shape and condition for their age. Both my father and grandfather had retail food goods businesses so this was right up my alley

We drove into Vancouver yesterday morning, and then Surrey in the evening, so we did not have another trip in us to take in the Symphony of Fire fireworks displays in English Bay last night. The reports said that there were record numbers of people out and only a few incidents of alcohol confiscation. There are those who say that Vancouver's alcohol laws are archaic and not in keeping with modern times. Not being much of drinking man myself, I will not comment on that, but there is something I will say that relates to the rule that says you cannot have a glass of wine with your picnic on the beach. Compare this to the policy of handing out free drugs (heroin) to addicts on the downtown east side. There is a huge disconnect here.

This morning I had the first of two procedures to replace one of my ancient teeth with a gold crown. This is my fifth one and my mouth is beginning to look like Fort Knox and is worth almost as much. I must say that my young Dentist is excellent. There was zero pain from either the freezing needle or the grinding down of the old tooth. There was so little discomfort during the 45 minute procedure that I was actually able to think of something other than my mouth while they were working away in there with their jack hammers and grinders. The only time I got a little concerned was when the backhoe arrived to clear away all the debris.

And now for the information you have been waiting to hear. There may be breaking news on my hip. Stay tuned. (there is no pun there)

No comments: