Saturday, April 24, 2010

Bob and Mary (Back to the House Project)

While painting, in Williams Lake, for the first time in my life, I met two brothers, twins, who were the framers of the two buildings we were working in. A few years later, they introduced me to their sister, Mary, who was a single mom and needed some painting done. She lived in a very simple home. Then she met and married Bob. He and his brother owned a truck trailer manufacturing business and he moved her into this wonderful home on acreage and a green belt. They have been clients of mine ever since. I did extensive work in this house many years ago and then again when they renovated their master bedroom. Recently, they did an extensive makeover throughout the house and Bob asked me if I wanted to do the work. Naturally I did and put it on the calendar. A few weeks later, the economic recession hit. Bob was still going to do the renovation, but he asked that I share the contract with his brother-in-law who suddenly became unemployed and did have some experience painting. I told Bob that he did not have to feel obligated to me and I suggested he let his brother-in-law do the whole job. He had kids and a mortgage and needed the money more than I did. Bob was ever so grateful. Then last fall, Bob called me to do the outside doors and the shutters. In doing so, I got to see the inside. It was stunning. He had done some architectural changes and had truly transformed and up-dated the house. But, the paint job was atrocious. I said nothing. I am sure they know.
The setting of this house is ideal. The long driveway is off of a very quiet cul-de-sac and behind is a green ravine and forest. Only one neighbour is visible through a grove of Maple trees. In the front of the house, the sunny side, is a beautiful swimming pool. The back has a huge deck for entertaining, and a large grassy area for the kids. What a great house, and what great people.
I also painted for Mary's brothers, her mom and dad's house when it was newly constructed, and Bob's brother's house. All in the family, you know.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Which area of town is this one?

Terry said...

On the McKee end of things.