Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Chinese Tudor

I have done much work on this street over the years and always admired this house as I drove by. Originally, it was beige with Tudor (very dark) Brown trim boards. I wondered for many years if I would ever have a chance to see the inside. It was vacant for a time, and the landscaping was neglected. Then it was sold to a Chinese fellow who owned a bowling alley. He painted the entire house pink, both the stucco and the trim, fortunately he did not paint the beautiful brick work. He never gave much consideration to the gardens either and they continued to deteriorate. Then I got the call. He needed some inside work done and would I come and take a look. I walked in the front door and was disappointed beyond belief. It was so poorly finished inside that I was sure a child had done it. It was falling apart and was pure ugliness. I did get the contract, to refinish the dilapidated oak kitchen cabinets, and the longer we worked there, the sooner I wanted to get out. From inside the house we could see the neglected and weed covered swimming pool. The garden was so overgrown with blackberry bushes that only a vague shape of its former glory was visible. The owner wanted more advice and more prices on various decorating options including wallpaper. It became clear that he had neither good taste, nor the budget to implement it. I walked away from it, disillusioned and sad. My dream house was a wreck.
Now, just a year later, someone saw the potential and has fixed it up, at least on the outside. I would be afraid to walk in the front door lest the ugly, wobbly stair rail is still there, not to mention the dog smells and the Chinese wallpaper.

No comments: