Sunday, April 4, 2010

Giving It Up

At last week's church service, it was suggested by our pastor that we "give something up" during the week before Easter. I thought about it and realised what a spartan life I lead. Of course, everything is a comparison. I already deny myself many things and consider myself a disciplined person. There are actually many things I could have given up, and was feeling guilty that I was not doing so, but then I began to wonder what the point of this exercise would be, for me personally. I know that fasting and denial are a very important aspect of many people's lives, but it is a little unclear to me as to the ultimate purpose of it.
Then I thought of the concluding statement of the message, which was about Christs' crucifixion and what it accomplished. Our pastor quoted Buddha on his death bed. "Never cease striving." Then he compared that to Christ's last words. "It is finished".
It suddenly became clear to me what I was to give up. There is nothing we can do to earn our salvation, God's grace, or his love. He did it all. It is finished. So, I gave up guilt. I hope it will last for more than a week.

No comments: