Thursday, April 15, 2010

Homes I have Worked In

I announced a few days ago that I was going to undertake a new blog project and that was to post photos and a brief story of some of the houses I have worked in over the years. I have been a paint and wallpaper contractor in the area for 35 years. I actually got my start in Williams Lake but I have lived here since '72 and worked here all that time. I know my town well, as well as the surrounding communities. This list will by no means be comprehensive, but is meant to be a random sampling of what I have done. Because 98% of my work has been interior, you will not be able to see the actual work I did but only the exterior. I had fun driving around one day, taking the photos. Most of the houses were in quiet residential areas so I did not hold up traffic. All photos were taken out the open window of my truck as I slowly rolled by the property.

This was the home of an executive of a large agricultural feed company. He and his wife are Dutch. I wallpapered most of the house in the days when wallpaper was very popular. Busylizzy was helping me at the time and we met a painter named Jack, who I never saw again. Because the house was being totally renovated, they asked me if I knew of someone who would want their Harvest Gold kitchen appliances. My sister and her husband were building a new home after coming home from the mission field so I was able to steer the appliances their way. Two years ago, they called me back to get some ideas on re-decorating yet again. As I walked through the house, I was amazed at how everything was in perfect condition. The paint and wallpaper were like new and I told them I honestly thought the house did not need re-decorating. The colours and patterns were classic so they did not date the house too badly. As it turned out, they sold the house as was and just a month ago called me to their new townhouse on Mill Lake to do some fine touch-up work. We renewed acquaintances and had some Dutch hot chocolate and biscuits while we reminisced about the good old days. I love that part of my work.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I always liked that house....from the outside, that is.

Terry said...

The inside is spacious with vaulted ceilings everywhere, a bit of an echo chamber, but very well built and in great shape. On Woodbine St.