Thursday, August 13, 2009

Cell Phones

Cell phones have been in the news a lot lately. We are on the verge of seeing new laws regarding the use of cell phones while driving. I have seen and experienced enough to know that it can be dangerous driving and using one at the same time, especially for texting. How can anyone even do that?
On Tuesday, some interesting stats came out regarding the cost of cell phones in Canada. Only the USA and Spain pay higher rates in all the world for using their wireless devices. Users in Finland, The Netherlands, and Sweden pay the least. In terms of penetration of wireless devices, Canada comes dead last, which surprises me. Does it not seem that everyone, everywhere has a cell phone pasted to their ear at all times? Not so. There are only 67 cell phones for every 100 people in Canada compared to an average of 100% in every other country. As I was wondering why, because Canada ranks pretty high in high speed Internet connectivity, I continued reading and here is the answer. Canada has the lowest land line phone rates of every country in the study. So, higher cost for Cell phones and lower costs for land lines result in us Canadians just being prudent with our hard earned dollars. If you call me, please do it on my land line.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

In Ireland most of the mobile phones are pay as you go which is quite economical if you ask me!

Anonymous said...

Koodo mobile costs us less than any land line I have ever had. But wait....when did I ever have a land line? Ok then, let's talk about micro waves and how cell phones fry your brain cells. that's a happy thought too.

Chris