Saturday, August 8, 2009

Fire Hall #1

I just renewed my home owner's fire insurance policy. On the form there is a question regarding distance of my home from the nearest fire station. This is the main fire hall and it is only 3 blocks from our house but that does not translate to a discount on the insurance premium. I guess the question is there so they can charge a premium to those who live an excessive distance from any hall. It is comforting to know they are so close, but the downside is the noise, although one does get used to it.

This is also the hall where Keith, our son-in-law works. He just got a promotion and is now in charge of education and information as well as being a fire inspector and investigator. His plate is full and he has plans to improve the way the system works. He is not one to accept the status quo and that will bode well for him as he progresses up the ladder of success. Congratulations, Keith! We are proud of you, even if you will not let us have a wiener roast in our back yard. :)

3 comments:

On This Rock said...

Way to go Keith! Congratulations!

I don't know if distance has anything to do with insurance premiums but I do know that we are further away from a fire hall than you are....and we pay a lot of money for our insurance. But I also know from experience (our barn burned down by an arsonist) that we were most thankful that there is such a thing as insurance because it is nasty if you don't have it and need it. I guess that is the "hook!" that keeps us paying.....paying.....paying...and maybe praying!

Rachel said...

That's a beautiful shot of Hall #1. Did you take it??

Terry said...

Yes, I took the photo.
We have insurance on absolutely everything and yet have never made a claim, ever. I have real issues with how they calculate replacement value. The figures are VASTLY overstated and that makes the premium so high. But, like you say Elma, you gotta' have it.