Saturday, August 1, 2009

These Guys are Dummies

Shady Grove has more than cars. Here is a one room school with those desks that some of us used to sit at. Slates, pot belly stove, wooden floor, and a pump organ for music appreciation classes round out this institution of learning.
The whole museum is populated by mannequins of various sizes and shapes, but beautiful people all.

My mother had one of these and my job was to run the clothes through that wringer on top. She put the fear in me when she told me to keep my fingers out of the rollers or it would eat them up. There was a wooden spoon handy to get the clothes started, thank goodness. I still have all ten fingers, but I still see that contraption as a big mouth waiting to eat a small child's hands.


What 50's museum would be complete without a pink (I believe it was called Coral back then) bathroom. Actually, there is a whole house in the upper barn area complete with this bathroom, a kitchen, living room, dining room, and bedroom, all filled with stuff your grandma had, or if you are a pack rat and do not do garage sales, you still have. Remember the sleek black panther table ornaments, lamp stands, and book ends? They have an a abundance of them there.




1 comment:

Gaye said...

I had a wringer washer in Kelowna. It washed well, but was a lot of extra work, compared to today's standards.