Friday, August 21, 2009

Money Needs Laundering?

When I was about 10 years old, my mother asked me what kind of birthday cake I would like at my birthday party. I remember saying that the kind did not matter so much (I loved any kind of cake) but I would really, really like to have money in my cake. The reason, of course, is that all my friend's moms did that at their birthday parties. We never had much money, so getting a coin in your piece of birthday cake, even if it was just a nickel, was a thrill.
She would have none of it because, in her words, money was filthy. And, I suppose it was. Her and my dad ran a cash retail business and they handled money all day, so I suppose she knew what she was talking about, and from a purely logical view, she was right. Of course, she could have boiled it, wrapped it in tin foil, or plastic wrap, or wax paper, but no, it just did not belong in a cake because money, probably in more ways than one, is just plain dirty.

She would have sat up and taken notice at the finding today, that 85% of Canadian paper money is tainted with cocaine! Only USA surpasses us at 90%. This is quite shocking. They have tested the money in various larger cities to track where the drug trade centers are. I was thinking that this does not bode well for those of us that like to carry cash on us. What if a random check was done at an airport or at a border crossing and cocaine was found on your money? Could an innocent person be incriminated by this evidence?
I guess maybe it proves my mother's theory correct in a way she never would have thought of. I do know that she would say, "I told you so".

1 comment:

poof said...

I was always told we would choke on money if it was in a cake. But then again, I don't remember ever having a birthday party. Poor poor pitiful me. :)