Saturday, August 22, 2009

Walking in Circles

Some 'scientists' in Germany were given a grant to do a study to find out how various stimuli to our senses causes humans to do what they do. This study focused on the ability or inability of people to walk in a straight line. It was discovered that when the sun was out and visible, whether walking in the desert or in a dense forest, most people walked a fairly straight line. When it was dark, overcast, or blindfolds were applied, people tended to walk in circles.
I think scientists are really hard up for things to do if they are studying this. Ask any working person if they are walking in circles, or for that matter, spinning their wheels. This is a common occurrence as life is a series of cycles, or circle if you will. We do the same thing day in and day out, always coming back to where we started, so why not do it when we are in the forest too. But, when we are goal oriented and find purpose (can see the sun) we become focused and walk a straight line to the destination we have deemed worthy of our efforts. I know these two concepts are not really related except as an allegory, but still worth thinking about.

4 comments:

Marni said...

I have a work-related circle I am going around and around in at the moment. I need some sunshine!

p.s. have found you through "on this rock" and am enjoying your photography and your insights.

Terry said...

Thanks for reading, Marni, and thanks for the comment. I think we can all relate, in some area of our lives. Keep your head up, the sun will break through soon.

Chrisp said...

When hired by a forestry company a few years ago to make boundary lines on harvestable timber land I was told with surprise that I was the first person in years that could actually walk a straight line in the bush the first time out. Little did he know that I was a long time mushroom hunter. I just wish it were as easy to walk that line in my spiritual life. Now THAT is a challenge.

Terry said...

Musta' been a sunny day! :)