Sunday, August 16, 2009

Living Bouquet

Because one of my hobbies is photography, I find myself continually looking at things as if through a camera lens and in a frame. I often suspend this habit during the winter months because although I do not photograph or see in black and white, that is mostly what the world is during those dreary months. In winter I find even a yellow rain coat on a dark and overcast day to give me inspiration and wish I had my camera with me, but this is only triggered because of the presence of a small splash of colour. As spring approaches, colour increases and throughout summer we are surrounded by it. Everywhere I turn I see photos. Flowers, for me, are the best that colour has to offer. The variations, intensity, and variety of shapes and shades are a never ending source of photo opportunities. And then there is the light. The above bouquet takes on a different look entirely in the morning, midday, and evening light, each offering a unique opportunity to get just the right shot. Whether the frame is awash with a riot of colour, or there is just a splash of it in one corner of the photo, colour brings and represents life.

2 comments:

Chrisp said...

You have something of your mother in you. She loved flowers and had she had opportunity she would have love photography as well. In the later part of her life she did love her little instant camera. But I remember her often commenting on the beauty of the flowers in the Fraser Valley.

Terry said...

Every year, without fail, she would call me to come take a photo of her Rhododendron when it peaked. It was a beauty.