Sunday, August 23, 2009

More Hot Summer Days

My young grandson, Liam, doesn't seem to mind the heat so much as us adults, especially when he has a bit of water to splash in. I was expecting him to do a face plant in the water any minute as he kept reaching for the green ball.
The days get shorter and the heat is more bearable because of the shortness of the day, and to be truthful, the days have not been that hot. It is a nice time of summer and we will soon be going on a little holiday. These are days of corn on the cob, fresh garden cucumbers, and zucchini, sauteed with onions, deep fried with a little batter, or my favourite, Lis's own famous Zucchini Relish. I actually eat hot dogs when the relish is available. The blueberries are winding down and I am sorry I have been unable to get out do an annual wild Blackberry pick. The fresh Okanagan nectarines and peaches are in our fruit basket these days too, but not for long. The Italian Prune Plums on our tree in the garden are blue and almost ripe. The Red Delicious Apples nearby are turning from bright green to rosy cheeked red but there are so many of them that they are a bit on the small side this year. I always gain a little weight this time of year because I love all the fruit. Did I mention the abundance of the sweetest cherry tomatoes we have ever grown? It is the only time of year I do not crave chocolate, probably because I am too busy eating other things that are just as good.

No comments: