Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Poppy Red




Getting to know my new camera has been a fun experience. I learned the hard way, over the years, that it pays to buy quality and in this instance, I am convinced I did the right thing by getting the Nikon. There are a number of basic principles in photography that remain the same whether shooting with film, in digital with a point and shoot, or finessing your way through the myriad of options with a DSLR (Digital Single Lens Reflex). I am experimenting, and referring to the manual many times, but it seems that when I compose the photo the way I want it, the camera does an amazing job of taking over to make sure that the image is as good as it can be, with the settings I choose. I very often drop my photos into my PhotoShop program to see what I can do to enhance them. When I do that with my Nikon images, I find that there is very little, if any, manipulations I can make to improve on the quality and clarity of the picture. All I did with the Poppy photos above was crop them to remove extraneous subject matter. When I shot the photos, I made sure I chose the correct exposure as all these were taken with back light, in other words, shot into the sun.
Tomorrow I will post some portraits of my grandson that were taken with the best portrait lens I have ever owned, the Nikon 55 -200 zoom lens. Again, quality pays.
I think I am having too much fun.

No comments: