Saturday, September 19, 2009

Generations

I watched him closely, as he talked to me, in a half sitting position. I could not see his father in him, but I most certainly could see a resemblance to his grandfather. The above photo is of my great grandfather and my dad resembles him in his old age. My dad is not well, his eyes are sunken, he has lost weight, and is very weak, but he reminded me of the time I met my great grandfather, Mr. John A. Friesen.

I had been to see him before, but one occasion sticks in my mind as the time I connected with him. There were a number of relatives in his home and it was a warm summer day. The conversation was about me that day as I was a bit of a celebrity. My friend and I had just won a singing competition and had been on TV, which was quite a novelty back then. John A. asked me if I could sing for the gathered crowd. Being quite shy, I declined, and besides, my partner was not there and I was not a soloist. So my great grandfather took me aside and offered me a silver dollar if I would go out onto the porch and sing, where, he assured me, nobody would hear me. I knew I was being conned, but I really wanted that silver dollar, so I consented.

I sang "The Happy Wanderer" out on the porch, to nobody in particular, and when I was done, thunderous applause broke out in the sitting room, just on the other side of the screen door. I sheepishly went back in and walked straight to the thin old man. With an endearing smile and a pat on the shoulder, he placed his clenched fist into my waiting hand and dropped the silver dollar, still very warm from the inside of his pocket. I felt a connection. He approved of me, a little kid, and he the great patriarch of the Friesen Clan.

He lived to 99 or there abouts. As I stared down at my dad today, I wondered if he would live that long. If he does, he has a long way to go. He is only 87.

No comments: