Thursday, September 24, 2009

Mom and Dad


I see my father almost every day now. When he lived on his own, I would see him once or twice a week. He is still in the hospital and is lonely so I go visit when I can. He is not mobile so they are keeping him there for a while yet.
We run out of things to talk about and there is much repetition. We have spent a tremendous amount of time together in our lives and I have heard all his stories many times over. He knows nothing of his situation, other than the fact that he is lying in the hospital, and it seems he does not care either. He is very accepting of his situation and takes life one day at time, as he has for quite some time now.
I tried, tonight, to see him as the young man he once was. Pictured above, he is around 20 years of age, as is my mom in the next photo. They were a good looking couple. He was from a prominent business family, and she from a well known and respected farming family. He always told me he was looking for a wife from 'good stock'. They both married into good families and I have been proud to be a part of both of them, not really having a favourite side. My parents took time and care to show us that we were part of a larger family, a bigger picture, and even now, I have cousins that are not that interested in their family and I find it strange. That is one gift my parents gave to us children.
My dad's seven siblings are all still living but only one has come to see him. They are all elderly and like my dad, do not travel easily or well. He would not go to visit any one of them either, so it is fitting. If my father's future is in a nursing home, I certainly hope he makes some friends there or it will indeed be a lonely existence.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I sure see Carly in that picture of Grandma!

Kerry said...

Sorry to hear that your Dad isn't doing well. I love the pictures. I have one of my Grandpa with all his siblings and his parents in black and white and it looks very similar to the one you posted of your Mom.