Friday, July 2, 2010

Canada Day Parade

It was a very cool, cloudy day, but it was Canada Day and there was a parade happening. And Nate was in the parade so we packed up the chairs, strollers, umbrellas, cameras, etc. and headed to the main street, early so we could get a good spot. We beat the rush, but just barely. The streets were soon crowded with spectators.
Liam had his flag and he was ready!
This waiting is a tiresome business but there was not a single complaint from junior.
The Police were first to head up the procession and this S.W.A.T. team made a real impression on the young boys. Chad now has a new career goal.

This is a police ghost pursuit car. You would not be very successful if you tried to run away from this Charger.

If you want a ride in this beauty, commit a crime and it will take you from the prison to the court house. No Charge.

This was the Children's Community Drama Group that Nate has joined and so he got to ride on the float. It was one of the nicest of the day. Click on the photo to see Nate. I took 4 shots and he was hidden in all except for this one, if you look closely.

For those of my readers who do not live in this area, this is a berry picking machine. Riding atop is one of our city councilors, making an attempt to identify with the agricultural community. But, I know him and he did grow up on a Berry Farm.

Here come the Big Boys, our city's finest. Liam got really excited when the fire engines went by, honking their horns and emitting short bursts of siren noises. He has sat in of these and he can't stop talking about it, even though he cannot talk yet.

The real crowd pleaser was when one of the firemen was grabbed by his fellows and taken to the back of this water tanker where he was thoroughly doused with the big gush of water. Not fun on such a cold day, I'm sure.

Even the horses had red toenail polish and red sparkle Maple Leaf tattoos on their flanks.

A business icon in our city, Vedder Transport, with one of their restored vintage trucks. A real beauty.

And this is the modern day version. This big boy hauls milk from the many dairy farms in the area.

Don't ask, because I don't know. But, like every other person on foot in the parade, she was throwing candies. Probably hired by the local dental association.

This lovely group of ladies on their lovely steeds represented a riding association. I liked the horsey socks. 
 
There were many vintage cars in the parade and I have photos of many of them, but this one had Ronald. How could I not post this photo?

And, last but not least, a demonstration of BMX bike expertise. Yes, he cleared the jump.

The parade was too long and too slow for my liking and not nearly as imaginative as a parade can be. I was impressed, however, with the turnout. The streets were lined with people along the entire route which had to be several miles. While I am beefing, I must say that some folks are rather rude. We were right at the curb with a front row seat. A reward for coming early and waiting. Just as it finally arrived within view, a bunch of women and their small kids came and plunked themselves right at our feet, literally sitting on the street, a no-no. Then some of their friends parked themselves right behind us and the loud inane conversations began in our face and at our backs. When I wanted to take a photo, I had to stand up. I edited many a waving hand and hairy head from the posted photos. I thought most people had the decency to not invade another's space in a public place, but not many people are taught these things by their parents any more. They are raised in a "ME" world and that dictates their behavior. OK, now that I have rained on the parade, I will quit.   

3 comments:

Kerry said...

Great pictures. Sorry about the rude people. It's becoming more and more common to "run into" people like that....unfortunately. The berry picking machine brought back a lot of memories for me...I worked on one for two summers in a row...and threw up every morning due to the fumes it gave off. Not fun. But, I will show it to my hubby who has never seen one. :)

Rachel said...

Those people were very rude and had that 'entitlement' attitude that drives me nuts.
The parade was 'meh' this year. Bummer. Good thing Liam doesn't know the difference...he thought it was tops!

Terry said...

Anything with fire trucks is right up Liam's alley.