Thursday, July 1, 2010

Work Ethic

June 30th was my grandson's first day of Summer Holidays. We had trimmed some rather large branches from our Douglas Fir and they needed snipping and cutting. The boys were "gung ho" as it was a good change from school work.
It did not take long and their enthusiasm waned.



Now a bit of boredom and disgust is setting in. Even the promised pay cheque did not seem worth it. Nana's bribe of an ice-cream cone had no effect. Chad began to levitate in the hope of making the drudgery more interesting. ( click on the photo)

"OK! That's it. I've had it. Enough of this tree cutting business. I am going to hack this thing to death"
Chad, meanwhile is doing a backward levitation, hoping to launch himself into a deep sleep where he will dream of being back at school with his friends and having interesting things to do. 
I have more work for them, but will they be up to it? Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Rachel said...

I laughed myself silly when I saw those photos. That is 100% Chad. He cannot handle manual labour. Interestingly enough his teacher said this in his report card: Chad's hard work ethic will get him far in life.
Really?!
He doesn't mind using his brain but his brawn? Not so much.
They look forward to their 'paycheques' but please don't pay for Chad's several coffee breaks. They'll take more work. They are still saving up for their Nintendo DS.